19 June 2008

Another Modest Proposal


Because of my addiction I was inevitably and irresistably attracted to George Motz's Hamburger America, in which he gives a guide to 100 Great Burger Joints all over the USA. He also has an entertaining DVD in the book about a couple of the places he visits and recommends. Damn, the DVD which is running while I am blogging, makes my mouth water on my [keyboard. I originally wrote "typewriter" because when I am not completely alert that is what I call it, yes and I sometimes call a fridge an "ice box" too. Just so you know where I am coming from] Over my other shoulder I can occasionally see either the College World Series, more entertaining than most major league games, or Fox News, slightly more interested in the truth than the others.

I noted with glee in the week before we left for MSP in preparation for the First or perhaps Second Mueller Melee, depending on when you start counting, that Mr Motz has listed two places in Minneapolis and four (4!!) places in Wisconsin, including two in Madison. The one thing I note with one eye on the DVD is that most of the burgers I saw were not pressed out uniformly and that cheese of various kinds was used and that many of these came from ordinary places in small towns, seemingly not always interested in maximizing the number they could sell.

So, my modest proposal is to visit a couple of places on Cedar Ave South in Minneapolis, maybe one this coming weekend and the other on the way home. Then next week, we will try a couple of places in Madison, another in Jefferson and maybe we will get to the place in Milwaukee too. I will, of course, report on these places as soon as possible after visiting them. Of course I am interested in being of aid to my gentlereaders about something I may know more about but in addition I note with chagrin that some of our magazines are giving out misleading information on food places, e.g. a magazine about Billings called Magic City (see below somewhere) in which I was embarrassed to find that the reporter probably hadn't even visited some of the places he recommended.

I was glad to see at least one of the places suggested toasted ordinary bread. For some reason that is my preference. A lot of one's reaction to a burger may have to do with its surroundings.

1 comment:

Ken & Carol said...

Yes, I know it is lame to comment on your own blog but it seemed easier to add something quickly this way.

Carol and I spent two splendid days in Saint Paul: what a great city! And we visited both places that Motz suggested. They both served a hamburger with a pocket in which cheese was put. Very good. Be careful as the cheese stays hotter than the meat and you may burn your tongue in addition to squirting it on your shirt or blouse as the case may be.

Off to northern Minnesota in a search for Carol's relatives, the LuConic's of Merrifield MN.

More later.

Downtown Billings in the SummerTime

Downtown Billings in the SummerTime
At The BrewPub on Broadway

Downtown Phoenix

Downtown Phoenix
Downtown Phoenix in the Winter Time

Good Cheese Here

Good Cheese Here
Vermont Cheddar & Minnesota Blue

TAKE TIME FOR PARADISE

TAKE TIME FOR PARADISE
Dehler Park, Billings MT, July 2008 This is what Bart Giamatti recommends for good mental health.

Me and Joan

Me and Joan
Early elderly and middle middle age: We May Know Something You Don't

Mrs America

Mrs America
Fortunately these girls had a good-looking mother

Rimrocks @ Billings MT

Rimrocks @ Billings MT
“In beholding old stones we may feel our anxieties about our achievements–and lack of them–slacken . . . Vast landscapes [and seascapes] can have an anxiety–reducing effect similar to ruins, for they are the representatives of infinite space, as ruins are the representatives of infinite time, against which our weak, short-lived bodies seem no less inconsequential than those of moths or spiders.”—Alain de Botton in Status Anxiety

Easter Sunday at St Patrick's Co-Cathedral

Easter Sunday at St Patrick's Co-Cathedral
12 April 2009

Pleasant Hillside at Hustisford, AKA The Grassy Knoll for you conspiracy buffs

Pleasant Hillside at Hustisford, AKA The Grassy Knoll for you conspiracy buffs
A Lot of Muellers Are Buried Here
Powered By Blogger