19 January 2009

Last Chance Harvey

We saw this a couple of days ago. Probably because anything that Emma Thompson is in has to be good. I could identify with Harvey of the title (Dustin Hoffman): he gets fired for gradually getting old with the performance issues that aging brings on; but there was something not totally convincing about Ms Thompson. She has had her teeth fixed and her hair was a little brassy, and she had a certain, well, middled-aged spread, as you might expect a 50 yr old to have, but I'm not sure those were really a problem. Maybe it was this last change, especially playing opposite an almost pixieish Dustin Hoffman who made her look larger than she really is.

And whereas I always felt like I could have, in my younger days of course, actually steeled myself to call her for a date, the character she played in Last Chance Harvey I'm not sure I would want to call. Which may just mean that she was playing her part perfectly, but still, she is just not a convincing lower middle class Britisher. This movie was not Sense and Sensibility or Remains of the Day, but it was better than a lot of the crap we put up with from Hollywood these days.

Oh no, I just discovered on Wikipedia that Emma Thompson is a GreenPeace activist. Oh well, another superb actress forgiven for being silly. I'll just mute her response at her next Oscar acceptance speech.

1 comment:

Ken & Carol said...

Oh dear, as I was looking at another part of my blog, out of the corner of my eye, I saw this picture of Ms Thompson, and I just realized why she turns me on. Of course, she reminds me of my first wife.

Downtown Billings in the SummerTime

Downtown Billings in the SummerTime
At The BrewPub on Broadway

Downtown Phoenix

Downtown Phoenix
Downtown Phoenix in the Winter Time

Good Cheese Here

Good Cheese Here
Vermont Cheddar & Minnesota Blue

TAKE TIME FOR PARADISE

TAKE TIME FOR PARADISE
Dehler Park, Billings MT, July 2008 This is what Bart Giamatti recommends for good mental health.

Me and Joan

Me and Joan
Early elderly and middle middle age: We May Know Something You Don't

Mrs America

Mrs America
Fortunately these girls had a good-looking mother

Rimrocks @ Billings MT

Rimrocks @ Billings MT
“In beholding old stones we may feel our anxieties about our achievements–and lack of them–slacken . . . Vast landscapes [and seascapes] can have an anxiety–reducing effect similar to ruins, for they are the representatives of infinite space, as ruins are the representatives of infinite time, against which our weak, short-lived bodies seem no less inconsequential than those of moths or spiders.”—Alain de Botton in Status Anxiety

Easter Sunday at St Patrick's Co-Cathedral

Easter Sunday at St Patrick's Co-Cathedral
12 April 2009

Pleasant Hillside at Hustisford, AKA The Grassy Knoll for you conspiracy buffs

Pleasant Hillside at Hustisford, AKA The Grassy Knoll for you conspiracy buffs
A Lot of Muellers Are Buried Here
Powered By Blogger